Saturday, January 30, 2010

"I'm sorry but I did something which is going to cause you some problems..." and Plop! there goes a concert!

Hello Ozzies!

More, more, more! Today's post has a very special dedication to Davide. You may have seen him in some pictures of previous posts. He's an Italian Vulcanus who also works in Schlumberger. He's very good at cooking, but he's even better at giving surprises!

Let me take this from the beginning:

I suppose most people in Oz are aware that I'm a bit crazy about a couple of Djs called 2Many Djs. Well, my romance dates from a loooong time ago. To be precise, since my first FIB festival (how many memories...The Strokes, Franz Ferdinand, Pixies, Placebo, Depeche...it was a great year for the FIB, snif, snif). The first time I saw them, I really flipped out: I have never seen something like it before: they don't do just simple mixing. Oh, no, that's for the amateurs. They take songs from any different style you can imagine (from Christina Aguilera to 50cent, without forgetting things like David Bowie, The League, Marylin Manson, Arctic Monkeys or Armand van Helden), and mix them in such a way you will not say they are different songs, but just a natural continuation.

So much for the remember session...I knew from a Japanese friend that Vitalic and 2 Many Djs (Vitalic is also another Dj: he's French, and he's also very good, but his style has nothing to do since he's more in the traditional techno/electronic trip) were coming to Tokyo at the end of January. I was very excited, and started looking for someone to accompany me, but since this kind of music does not collect many followers (hey, electronic went outdated some years ago, so...), I finally had to give up. The ticket prize was not helping neither: 6500yens (something like 50euros) for a concert is a lot of money if you compare it to concerts in Europe (you only get those prizes if you go to see living myths like U2 or Bob Dylan, or maybe fashionable groups of dubious quality like Britney Spears). So no hope...until last Thursday. When I came back from the gym, I found a small post it on my door from Davide, telling me that he seriously needs to talk to me, and asking me to visit in his appartment asap. So there I go, thinking that something is going reeeeally wrong if Davide is getting so serious (since he's always joking and smiling around). Knock on the door, and there he is sitting on his bed with a very very serious face. He asks me to sit down, then starts talking: "Look Guillermo, I have done something which is going to cause you some troubles. For sure you are going to need to make some calls. I'm sorry if I have inconvenienced you...Look" And as he was saying that, he goes to one of the table drawers and pulls out a Lawson's envelope. He opens it in front of my eyes...and there they were, two brand-new tickets for the 2 Many Djs vs. Vitalic concert of last Saturday! I just could not believe what my eyes were seeing. Honestly! I want to keep a written record about this, it has been by far the biggest unexpected thing (aka surprise, aka something you really don't expect at all) that has happened to me in my life. Davide, you're big, veeeeery big!







Can you feel it? Something good is about to happen...

It was such a bit of a shock that even the very same day of the concert, while we were having dinner in an izakaya near the concert hall, I still didn't believe it at all!

 Our destination: Zepp Tokyo!





But sure it was real...we took the monorail and stepped in the Zepp just in time to see the beginning of Vitalic. My God, he's good! Last time I saw him, he was mixing in a much more hard-core fashion, and so I enjoyed it less. But this time, he was on fire! I think Japanese are one of the most responsive audiences an artist can have: you can really feel they're into it. Really into it, and that they deeply appreciate what the artist is doing, in a very festive way. You get a very good vibration of the people, nobody's being aggressive, and there is enough space to move. Being crowded as it was, we were able to get up until the third row without any problem, and still not feel oppressed. We (I mean Westerners) should learn about concert viewing here...

There you go! Some pics of the concert:
 





You see the bold man there? Let me introduce you: Vitalic, readers; readers, Vitalic.

And this is what he does:





Of course, there was a disco ball. (I love disco balls...)






At the beginning, Davide was not very enthusiastic about Vitalic, but during the concert, well...








(FYI, the sunglasses of that man had small LEDs...where did he buy them?)



Japanese really like to appear in pictures! But sometimes, they may wish they wouldn't...





After Vitalic, a Japanese Dj was in charge of making the transition towards the show of the night (people were really looking forward to it!)...2 Many Djs! See how they start their show...






Now, the crowd completely changed during this part: people just went mad!! I was not expecting this from the Japanese (although I must say that problems didn't come from their side, but from all the Westerners who gathered near the scenario). It was...like the Odakyu line in the mornings (please refer to previous posts for more information, or come to Tokyo to suffer at your own risk). It still was not as bad as concerts in Spain (we were always on the third row without problems), but everybody went in trance mode ( free buffet of happiness pills?). A picture of our beloved heroes, in the middle of the session...





...and another video!





Still, it was awesome: they got in wearing smokings, and without losing their posture started hitting the audience with an endless chain of musical hits. They showed once again why they are the bests: there was a moment in which they switched from Sepultura to Eurythmics, then went on with some techno, which was particularly jaw-dropping (can someone see the similarities between Sepultura and Eurythmics? I don't...). And they also played with Kids, from MGMT, and it was pretty awesome too...




























So of these photos are creepy...We have to start learning how to pose, otherwise we're going to lose some friends...

To the next Ozzies!

No comments: